Yesterday I got a “emergency” call from a client about his business.
A salesman was in his dental office, trying to sell him on advertising his Dental practice on cable TV. And the salesman told him he needed an answer right away in order to give him the special deal he was offering. What’s the answer? Is cable TV a great place to promote your local business?
Let me ask you a few questions and see if you can guess the right answer.
1. Who is more likely to sign up for your services or buy your product, the person who is looking online, or the person enjoying their favorite TV show?
I don’t know about you, but by the time I sit down to watch TV in the evening, I’m done making decisions for the day, other than which show to watch. And my goal is to make my evening viewing ad free.
2. How many channels do you get with your cable package? Most cable companies provide a minimum of 50 channels with their basic packages and over 500 channels with the top priced packages.
Given the plethora of channels, what’s the chance your target market will ever see your ad? The truth is its slim at best.
3. Do you own a DVR? Over half the people who own TVs do.
Which means they are recording their favorite shows, so they can do what I do. They fast forward through the ads. Not ideal if you want your ads to work.
4. But billions are spent each year on TV advertising, so it must work, right? The answer is yes and no. The companies that account for the majority of money being spent on TV advertising have marketing budgets in the hundreds of millions of dollars. And my guess is the executives at Ford, Pepsi and other huge corporations feel it’s money spent wisely to introduce products and build their brand.
Do you have a couple hundred million to spend? If not then, advertising on TV is probably the wrong place to focus your marketing efforts for your business.
5. What are the trends in advertising, where is money being spent? The answer is TV advertising is shrinking and online advertising is growing.
So what do you think?
Is it a good idea to advertize your business on cable TV?
Or should you be focusing your marketing on increasing your online presence so qualified prospects can find you?